TABLE TALK: Broadmoor dazzles with a gingerbread Old West
Looking for a free holiday activity for kids of all ages? Check out the gingerbread village at The Broadmoor, 1 Lake Ave. The resort's culinary team constructed an array of sweet houses that depict the Old West, complete with a jail, town clock keeping perfect time, 16 houses and, of course, a saloon. The display is in the main mezzanine in the main building at the top of the escalator. You have until Jan. 1 to have a look. Call 634-7711. Visit broadmoor.com.
Early bird deal
Carlos’ Bistro, 1025 S. 21st St., offers an Early Bird special 5-5:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. During the half-hour you can dine on smaller portions from the menu for half price. Call 471-2905. Visit facebook.com/Carlos.Bistro.
A west side favorite moving
Westsiders, your days are numbered to score Vietnamese food at Saigon Grill, 3119 W. Colorado Ave. The eatery will close that location on Monday. The owners plan to open their new location at 337 N. Circle Drive when they finish sprucing up the former Subs & Such to take on an Asian look. Call 635-0720.
The highly anticipated Pinot Posse Tour Wine Dinner hitches up at Summit restaurant at The Broadmoor, 9 Lake Circle, at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 13. The six-course dinner will be paired with top pinot noir producers in the United States, including Bonaccorsi Wine Co., Owen Roe, August West, Keefer Ranch, JK Carriere, Point Concepcion Cargasacchi Vineyards and AP Vin Wines. Cost is $125 per person (plus tax and gratuity). Call 577-5896 for reservations. Visit broadmoor.com.
New Year's Eve plans
Still haven’t made a reservation to ring in 2013 on Dec. 31? Here are a few spots to check out.
• Magical Productions LLC offers a Sock Hop New Year's Eve Gala Ball at the Colorado Springs Marriott, 5580 Tech Center Drive, at 7 p.m. Cost is $60 a person or $110 a couple and includes dinner, dance, party favors and door prizes. Cost is $25 per person or $45 per couple after 9 p.m. for dancing only. Call 570-0761 or visit magicalproductionsllc.myevent.com.
• The Sunbird, 230 Point of the Pines Drive, offers dinner seatings from 4 to 11 p.m. There will be a live jazz band in the lounge 8 p.m.–12:30 a.m. with free Champagne toast at midnight. Call 598-8990 or visit thesunbird.com.
• The Briarhurst Manor, 404 Manitou Ave. in Manitou Springs, offers a New Year’s Eve five-course dinner. Seatings start at 5 p.m. Price depends on entree selection: prime rib ($59), jumbo lobster tail ($59), prosciutto wrapped fillet mignon ($54), poached salmon with hollandaise ($42), seared duck breast ($56), vegetable Wellington ($39), or seared duck breast ($49) Call 685-1864 or visit briarhurst.com.
• The Embassy Suites, 7290 Commerce Center Drive, offers a New Year’s Eve package for $139 (plus tax) that includes accommodation, reception, dinner, family entertainment, live music and breakfast buffet. Call 599-9100 or visit coloradosprings.embassysuites.com.
• The Fine Arts Center, 30 W. Dale St., offers “Cruising with Love” 7 p.m.-1 a.m. Cost is $119 per person for gourmet buffet prepared by The Food Designers, entertainment and midnight Champagne toast. Cost is $69 per person without buffet. Call 634-5583 or visit csfineartscenter.org.
• The Craftwood Inn, 404 El Paso Blvd. in Manitou Springs, offers a five-course dinner for $190 per couple. Seatings are available 4-9 p.m. Dine between 4-5 p.m. for an early bird special of $60 per person. Cost of wine pairing is $25 per person. Call 685-9000 or visit Craftwood.com.
“KVOR Table Talk”
There will no broadcast Saturday because of the Air Force Academy football game (Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl against Rice University).
Send tips about restaurant openings, closings, menu changes and food specials to firstname.lastname@example.org, 636-0271, Twitter @tffoodie or Facebook Teresa Farney. Hear Farney’s “KVOR Table Talk” radio show noon to 1 p.m. Saturdays on 740 AM.