TABLE TALK: Coaltrain's hosts Must-Try holiday wine tasting
Coaltrain Wine and Spirits, 330 W. Uintah St., kicks off the holiday season with the Infamous Christmas Tasting at Springs Orleans, 123 E. Pikes Peak Ave., in the Mining Exchange Hotel, at 6 p.m. on Dec. 5. They say "infamous," but we think it should be called famous and not to be missed. During the party you can sample more than 50 wines that is part of the Christmas sale and enjoy appetizers by the Springs Orleans culinary team. Cost is $40, $45 at the door, and $15 for designated drivers. Call 475-9700. Visit coaltrainwine.com.
Mike Bristol, owner of Bristol Brewery, will serve up the last allocation of his famous Venetucci Pumpkin Ale at The Broadmoor West Lobby Bar, 1 Lake Ave., 6-8 p.m. Nov. 28. For $35 per person you get a 22-ounce bottle of ale with unlimited small plates prepared by Justin Miller, Charles Court chef. E-mail email@example.com for reservations.
• Jake & Telly’s Greek Taverna, 2616 W. Colorado Ave., offers a three-course lunch special for $15. The dinner special is two for $40: You share an appetizer, have two entrees and share dessert. Specials run through January. Call 633-0406. Visit greekdining.com.
• The Famous, A Steakhouse, 31 N. Tejon St., offers Sunday Steak Night 4-10 p.m. For $34.95 per person, you get a choice of Caesar or iceberg wedge, choice of filet, rib-eye or organic salmon, choice of half order of a side dish, and choice of cheesecake or chocolate torte. Call 227-7333. Visit thefamoussteakhouse.net.
FaerieTales BakeHouse and Catering, 1015 W. Colorado Ave., offers the following events to kick off the season and help you with holiday planning. Call 375-5651. Visit faerietalesbakehouseandcatering.com.
• Dec. 2: Festivus Brunch 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Order off the menu. Also, wear an ugly holiday sweater and get a free treat.
• Dec. 5: – Cooking class for those 21 and up, 6-8 p.m. It features how to prepare holiday side dishes and desserts. Cost is $35 per person/
• Dec. 13: Cooking class for the whole family, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Features hands-on dessert recipes and decorating tips. Cost is $30 per person (kids must bring their adult).
The Sons of Norway offers two holiday events at Viking Hall, 1045 Ford St.
• Scandinavian Christmas Tea 2 p.m. Dec. 1, featuring homemade holiday treats with holiday tea. Cost is $14. Call 599-3235 for reservations.
• Julebord – Christmas Party, 2:30 p.m. Dec. 16, featuring salads, breads, lefse, meat and cheese trays, seafood, roast pork, vegetables and assorted Norse desserts. Also, enjoy caroling and a visit from Santa. Cost is $19, $17 members and $7 for children 5-12. Call 598-1982.
Old Chicago restaurants celebrates the winter season with the Winter Mini Tour, featuring 10 seasonal beers. The kick off party is 6 p.m. Nov. 28. You have until Dec. 31 to drink the selected brews and win a limited edition long-sleeved Mini Tour t-shirt. Visit oldchicago.com.
Urban Steam, 1025 S. Sierra Madre St., has begun serving European-style small cups of coffee. The lattes are 12 ounces and the macchiatos follow the Italian proportion of two ounces espresso, lightly marked with milk. The small menu features gourmet waffles and panini sandwiches. Hours are 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Call 473-7832. Visit facebook.com/urbansteam.
The Famous, a Steakhouse, 31 N. Tejon St., will host a Keenan wine dinner at 7 p.m. Nov. 29. For $85 per person (plus tax and tip), you get five-courses paired with wine. Call 227-7333. Visit thefamoussteakhouse.net.
It’s worth the short drive to The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey 3011 E. U.S. Highway 50 in Cañon City, just to sample and buy their award-winning wines. But it’s especially worth hitting the road to pick up the 2012 Wild Cañon Harvest wine. For 11 years, winemaker Matt Cookson has bought grapes from community grape growers to crush and make into a unique wine. This year’s wine contains 25 grape varietals and is described as “light, spritzy and fun.” Cost is $12 per bottle and is available at the winery tasting room and area wine stores. Call 1-719-276-5191. Visit abbeywinery.com.
Dion's, 6385 Source Center Point will open Dec. 1. The beloved New Mexico chain will serve pizza and sport a drive-up. Hours are 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and 10:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Visit http://www.dions.com.
Send tips about restaurant openings, closings, menu changes and food specials to firstname.lastname@example.org, 636-0271, Twitter @tffoodie or Facebook Teresa Farney. Hear Farney’s “KVOR Table Talk” radio show noon to 1 p.m. Saturdays on 740 AM.