TABLE TALK: If it's Christmas, it's tamales
For some people, tamales are the reason for the season. If that's you, here are a few options for holiday eating, but place orders soon.
• Brenda’s Tamales, 5135 Eldon Dr., offers pork, chicken, pork and jalapeño, chicken and jalapeño, and green chile and cheese. Cost is $16 per dozen or $8 for a half dozen. Pick up or have them delivered. Call 200-9226.
• The Tamales Lady offers hot or mild pork and chicken tamales and special holiday pineapple and raisin tamales. Cost is $14 per dozen and $7 for a half dozen. Deliveries only. Call 205-3864.
• La Casita Mexican Grill offers pork and poblano chile and cheese tamales. Cost is $15.95 per dozen and $8.45 for a half dozen. Several locations. Visit lacasitamexigrill.com.
• Vallejo’s Restaurant, 111 S. Corona St., offers pork tamales. Cost is $12.50 per dozen. Call 635-0980. Visit http://youtu.be/QGYw4L-TUGc to see a video of Lydia Vallejo Martinez making tamales.
Amanda’s Fonda update
New owners of the second location of Amanda’s Fonda, 8050 N. Academy, are expecting to open at the end of January. The former Village Inn building has undergone a major facelift. Now it resembles a Mexican hacienda.
Colorado gift giving
The Colorado Department of Agriculture has the answer to finding Colorado-themed holiday gifts in its online Colorado Food and Agriculture Gift Guide. The guide lists companies that sell items ranging from gourmet baskets filled with sweets and snacks to mouth-watering meats and fresh produce. Visit at coloradoagriculture.com.
Get fired up
Panda Express restaurants will celebrate the holidays by offering Firecracker Chicken Breast through Jan. 29. The 240-calorie dish combines marinated chicken breast with sweet yellow and red bell peppers along with white onions in a wok. The finishing touch is crushed chile peppers and black bean sauce. Cost is $3.25 single, $6.50 medium, and $9.25 large. Visit pandaexpress.com.
New Year’s Eve
Don’t be left out in the cold for New Year’s Eve. Reservations fill up fast. Here are a few places to check out:
• Tajine Alami, 10 Old Man’s Trail in Manitou Springs, offers a six-course Moroccan feast with a glass of Champagne and belly dancing entertainment 4-8 p.m. Cost is $40. Call 685-1119. Visit tajinealami.com.
• The Inn, 443 S. Colorado 105 in Palmer Lake, offers their regular menu and specials in their Mozaic restaurant. Call 481-1800. Visit http://innatpalmerdivide.com.
• The Melting Pot, 30-A E. Pikes Peak Ave., offers five-course fondue dinner for $140 per couple. Call 385-0300. Visit meltingpot.com/colorado-springs.
For GO!'s complete guide to New Year's Eve dining and festivities, go to coloradosprings.com
Last minute gifts
Let the Garden of the Gods’ Gourmet, 2528 W. Cucharras St., help with some tasty gifts. You’ll find baskets of sweet and savory treats that will delight all the foodies on your list. Think “Holiday Snack Attack” ($17) – an assortment of holiday munchies like salted caramel popcorn, holiday granola blend and chocolate-dipped biscotti or “Colorado Wine Sampler” ($45), which offers three Colorado Two Rivers Winery wines in festive packaging. Gift certificates are available for the chefs’ popular "Dinner with the Chef" for two ($70) and cooking classes. You can pick up items at the market or have gifts delivered for a small charge. Call 471-2799. Visit godsgourmet.com.
La Casita Mexican Grill owners have opened a fourth location in Pueblo at 3991 N. Elizabeth (I-25 and Hwy. 50). Call 1-719-543-7387.
“KVOR Table Talk”
“KVOR Table Talk” guests on 740 AM, noon to 1 p.m. Saturday:
• Christine Yocum, owner of Art & Style Baking, 3609 Austin Bluffs Parkway, talks about her hand-painted cookies, which are perfect for last minute holiday gifts. She will catch us up on events she has planned for January and February. Call 694-6332. Visit artandstylebaking.com.
• Eric Veidt, executive chef and an owner of The Margarita at Pine Creek, 7350 Pine Creek Road, talks about the events coming up at the restaurant including The Feast of Seven Fish, Dec. 23. Call 598-8667. Visit coloradoeats.com/margarita.
• Cindy Harrell, metro trainer and healthy eating specialist for Whole Foods Market, 7635 N. Academy Blvd., talks about the 28-Day Healthy Eating Challenge and a cooking demonstration and cookbook signing by Alan Roettinger, author of “Speed Vegan,” 6-7:30 p.m. Jan. 9. Call 531-9999. Visit wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/coloradosprings.
• Michaela Hightower, owner of Soirée, 1003 S. Tejon St., talks about planning a DIY cocktail party for New Year’s Eve and events coming up at her store. Call 633-8313. Visit coloradospringsvenue.com.
Send tips about restaurant openings, closings, menu changes and food specials to firstname.lastname@example.org, 636-0271, Twitter @tffoodie or Facebook Teresa Farney. Hear Farney’s “KVOR Table Talk” radio show noon to 1 p.m. Saturdays on 740 AM.